Greek Police raid station over train disaster
Greek police raided a train station Friday as part of their probe into the rail collision that killed at least 57 people, as the nation braced for new strikes and protests over the disaster.
Some families were still desperate to locate loved ones who were on the train and some demonstrations have turned violent as public anger builds over the role government mismanagement played in Greece’s worst-ever rail accident.
A judicial source told newsmen that files were among items seized by police on Friday during a raid on the Larissa train station in central Greece, where the fiery crash happened on Tuesday.
The passenger train — carrying many students returning from a holiday weekend — ran for several kilometres on the same track as an incoming freight train, reportedly after the station master in Larissa failed to reroute one of the trains.
The crash has sparked public criticism of government failures in the rail network, and protesters are expected to hold silent demonstrations Friday in the capital Athens and several major cities across Greece.
Read Also: Kenya Braces For Legal Battle After Ruto Declared President-Elect
Unions have also urged railway workers to strike for a second consecutive day.
In Thessaloniki — Greece’s second largest city — police said a protest of about 2,000 demonstrators turned violent on Thursday, with protesters throwing stones and petrol bombs.
Survivors described scenes of horror and chaos when the crash occurred, with many dodging smashed glass and debris as the train keeled over.
Some relatives were still desperately awaiting news of missing loved ones with fury and despair.
“No one can tell me anything — if my child is injured or in intensive care or anything,” one woman told AFP, desperately seeking news of her 23-year-old daughter Kalliopi.
Her 49-year-old husband Lazaros said he’d only discovered there had been a crash by watching the late evening TV news.
“I woke my wife up and asked her if our daughter was on that train. That was when the nightmare began,” he said.
They said they have given DNA samples and are now waiting to find out if their daughter is alive.
Roubini Leontari, the chief coroner at Larissa’s general hospital, told ERT on Thursday that over 10 people were still unaccounted for, including two Cyprus nationals.