FG to pay nine months N-Power outstanding stipends from November
The Federal Government has stated that it is prepared to start paying N-Power beneficiaries who are enrolled in the programme nine months’ worth of backlogs in November.
It made this announcement on Monday through Akindele Egbuwalo, the N-Power National Programme Manager, who made it known when he met with some N-Power recipients at his office in Abuja.
Egbuwalo claimed that the primary goal of the program’s interim suspension was to address all issues that directly affected recipients in a statement released by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation.
He was reported in the statement as saying that money had been recovered from the current payment service providers as a result of the program’s temporary suspension for full restructuring and forensic audit.
“Plans have been put in place by the programme to commence disbursement of the nine months outstanding stipends to beneficiaries from November 2023. Payments will be carried out in installments,” Egbuwalo stated.
He said the N-Power programme would be continued as the Renewed Hope Job Creation Programme under the supervision of the humanitarian minister.
Egbuwalo said the scheme would be expanded to target five million beneficiaries in five years, where one million youths would be absorbed each year under the graduate and non-graduate streams.
Sani Garba, a beneficiary from Yobe State, who was present at the meeting, said the concerns of beneficiaries were mainly regarding the delayed nine months stipends.
He said a national protest had initially been planned by different clusters of N-Power beneficiaries due to inadequate information.
“Sir, as you have clearly explained the current situation of payment to us, myself and another cluster of beneficiaries represented here are assuring you that we have understood your position and taken your assurances, there is no need for any protest,” he stated.