Our Nigeria News Magazine
The news is by your side.

EFCC Arrests Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Conviction Over N33.8bn Fraud Case

EFCC Arrests Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Conviction Over N33.8bn Fraud Case

11

EFCC Arrests Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Conviction Over N33.8bn Fraud Case

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has arrested former Minister of Power Saleh Mamman following his recent conviction by a Federal High Court in Abuja over financial misappropriation involving billions of naira.

EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede disclosed this on Tuesday during a press briefing at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja, stating that the former minister was apprehended in the early hours of the day in Kaduna State.

According to Olukoyede, Mamman was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. alongside two individuals allegedly shielding him from authorities.

“I’m happy to announce to Nigerians that at about 3:30 a.m. this morning, we arrested Mr. Saleh Mamman,” he said.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced Mamman to 75 years imprisonment in absentia after finding him guilty on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud involving N33.8 billion linked to the diversion of funds meant for the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.

Olukoyede described the arrest as evidence of the Federal Government’s determination to strengthen anti-corruption efforts and ensure accountability in the management of public resources.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption in Nigeria and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into government or national resources will not go unpunished,” he said.

The EFCC chairman explained that the agency had filed charges against the former minister in January 2025 over allegations of converting more than N33 billion allocated to the power projects.

He stated that the commission secured convictions on all counts after approximately 14 months of prosecution, while sentencing was delayed because the former minister was absent from court.

Following the conviction, Olukoyede said the anti-graft agency launched intelligence, surveillance and recovery operations aimed at locating the former minister.

The Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo, said the process of transferring Mamman to a correctional facility was already underway.

He added that investigations are continuing into individuals who may have aided the fugitive and additional properties allegedly linked to the convict.

The EFCC also disclosed plans to strengthen monitoring procedures for high-profile suspects facing trial to prevent future attempts to evade justice.

EFCC Arrests Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman After Conviction Over N33.8bn Fraud Case

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.